The underwear we put to test is the DUB underwear brief. A few words about the brand. DUB underwear is a fresh brand founded in 2016. Their products are meant to be stylish, comfortable, eco friendly and ready to serve the need of modern men. DUB stands for Dutch Underwear Brand and obviously, it is based in Netherlands. Apart from briefs, their collection consists of bikini briefs, trunks, boxer briefs and jockstraps meeting everyone’s needs and taste.
The brief that DUB underwear provided me is from their new collection which is not out, yet, and I am very thankful for their trust. The colours used on the fabrics of the brief are black (for the sides and back part) and yellow for the front part and pouch. According to their site, the colour combinations available at the moment this review was written are: red with blue plus black details, yellow with black plus red details, yellow with blue plus white details and last, yellow with red plus blue details. Time for review!
Packaging: The plastic bag that contains the underwear can be characterised as austere. Nothing special, nothing that can catch my attention. However, I am not that demanding at this category because I believe that the most important part of the review, concerns the underwear itself. On the other hand, I believe that a brand that uses eco friendly materials for their underwear, should use eco friendly packaging too. I spoke with the brand recently and they said they are working on that and very soon the packaging will change.
Material: I was happy when I noticed the blend details and excited that 95% of the material is made from bamboo! It was my first time testing bamboo based underwear. The rest 5% is spandex. The result of the combination is a light underwear, soft to the touch with high breathability levels. The waistband is soft too, with a centred DUB underwear logo at the front.
Design: I like colourful underwear and colour blocking in general. As a result, I loved the colour combination of yellow and black and the contrast they create side by side. Also interesting, is the design of the style which is not like ordinary briefs. The cut for the thighs is not rounded just like many other briefs. As you can see in the pictures the leg openings are squarish, creating an interest twist to a classic brief. On the one side, I like this different approach but on the other side, I found the back part of the underwear small, not able to cover my whole glutes, resulting in a lack of support. Is it the cut itself, or the material that it is more stretchable than it should? My opinion is that the answer lies somewhere between the two. In contrast with the trunk, i did not manage to find and inconsistencies at the stitching of the brief. Concerning the pouch, I found the contouring there ok again, but I would love to see more contoured pouches at a future collection of the brand.
Performance: As you may have guessed the testing of the performance was conducted again at the gym. You can see a proof on my instagram account! Again, I started working out with 30 minutes on the rowing machine followed by a traditional strength training routine. By the time I started working out, I got used to the lack of support at the back, but I must say that at the same time I was hoping that there was a bit more coverage back there. Concerning sweat, I am pleased with how the bamboo based fabric almost exceptionally handled it and kept me cool. I can not say it kept me dry, but miracles do not happen! Comfort was there too, even though I tried to adjust the back once or twice during my workout.
Durability: I put the brief in the laundry at 40 degrees Celsius after the workout even though I was not supposed to. According to the care instruction it should be washed at 30 degrees max with similar colours. However, after the washing process, I didn’t notice any damages to the fabric or wear signs at the stitching.
Conclusion: The overall feeling about the brief is positive. I loved the colours and contrasting details. I appreciated the design twist of the leg openings but I wish it would provide me more comfort at the back side. Also, a more contoured pouch would be much appreciated! I must admit that it is a nice try by DUB Underwear, to produce an eco friendly, stylish and durable product. Would I recommend it? Yes!